News:

Latest versions:
Server plugin: 0.5.1
MVP dongle: 0.5.2
Raspberry Pi client: 0.5.2
Windows client: 0.5.2-1

Main Menu

Standardizing key-names in remotelinux.cc ?

Started by dingo35, October 13, 2013, 13:36:14

Previous topic - Next topic

dingo35

Hi all (but especially Marten and Christophe),

As I was remapping the keys of my MCE remote I noticed that most of the keys worked right out of the box, but a few just didn't work because of conflicting naming schemes between linux-kernel and vompclient.
Now I suspect vompclient was earlier with these names than the kernel, and I also suspect the kernel-developers are/cannot be aware of a nice application like VOMP.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to change
KEY_FORWARD to KEY_FASTFORWARD
KEY_BACK to KEY_REWIND
KEY_BACKSPACE to KEY_EXIT

in remotelinux.cc .

It would make sure that these keys work right out of the box on all MCE compliant remotes on these keycodes, and (AFAIK) would not break any other remotes (Marten, Christophe, can you confirm this?)

Arguable would be these keys:
KEY_POWER to KEY_SLEEP
KEY_M to KEY_MEDIA

..since I have nu clue on how other remotes name these keys. It makes more sense to my to name the power key KEY_POWER then KEY_SLEEP, but I am not sure how dominant Microsofts market position to other suppliers is on this small issue.
Also, the menu key on the hauppauge remote is also labeled I(nfo), and it is used as a KEY_INFO button in live TV in vomp, but kind of as a KEY_MEDIA when playing recordings.

What do you guys think?

Best regards ALL !!!

MartenR

Hi,
I am not completely sure, what your point is.
The name of the keys is automatically taken from the linux kernel header files during complilation, so the scheme can not be conflicting to the kernel at all.
The keys are then assigned to vomp internal button naming, which is set by the old mvp standard.

I also will not change the standard keys in remotelinux.h, since it will break compatibility with keyboards.
But I have added your suggestions as additional defaults in my git, so that these should now work out of the box as well.
Note, you might have to delete the client config file in order that the changes take effect, or delete the remote setting from your config file.

Marten