MVP dongle: 0.5.2
Raspberry Pi client: 0.5.2
Windows client: 0.5.2-1

Main Menu

Problems with HDTV picture quality

Started by JTe, December 15, 2012, 08:00:26

Previous topic - Next topic

JTe

I have some problems with TF1 picture quality (white squares appearing every 5-10 seconds) on my vomp client. I was trying to play with my network settings but could not get rid of the problem. Attached is a short recording (sorry about the content, but it was all there was on this morning...). I have absolutely no problems with eg. German hd channels.

This recording as well as live tv play totally fine on the vdr box itself.

The link to download the sample is:

http://wikisend.com/download/683300/00001.ts

MartenR

This is a problem probably of the current firmware, I have reported the problem to the raspberry pi people (dom in raspberry pi forum) some time ago and they have filed a bug report to broadcom.
I first found it with the bbc hd sample.

You can switch to an older firmware from september but then deinteralaing of 1080i will not work.
Of course this is just a guess, I did not check the file.

Please test if the artefacts are also visible with omxplayer. If not then I am wrong and it is a error in vomp.
If it is also visible in omxplayer then we should contact dom, so that he can check with broadcom, if it is the same problem.

Marten

JTe

Yes, it seems the problem is the one discussed on the Raspberry pi forums. I got the same artefacts with omxplayer as with the vomp client. It seems the same case as in:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=25749

MartenR

Ok, exactly like I assumed. Btw. the picture dom has posted is from the bbc hd sample laz gave me for audio support on bbc hd.

Marten

MartenR

Thanks to dom from the raspberry pi, who filed the error with broadcom and was very helpful.
We have a fixed firmware in the next firmware tree, but it is still unsure if the changes cause other distortions.

Please update your vomp and try the next firmware with:
rpi-update dac765d9b21855a95496833cb876b08dd8d5f9c6
and report problems.

Marten

JTe

Almost everything works now with the new firmware update and the today's update to git "Fixes for next firmware tree#, except the 1080i deinterlacing!

When I tried the new firmware without the newest git update (yes I did reboot) the deinterlacing was working with 1080i, but with the 720i I had no picture... Now with the newest version compiled I have a picture with both but no 1080i deinterlacing.

MartenR

Are you sure about the no deinterlacing? Vomp checks some flags in the headers to decide if the content is interlaced. ( I do not want to deinterlace non interlaced content).
You can check it in the logs, the message "VideoType %d x %d i: %d" tell the resolution and after the i if it is interlaced. 0 means content flagged non interlaced.

Marten

JTe

Now the deinterlacing seems to work now (after a second reboot). So I guess it was something to do with my firmware upgrade and only one reboot after it.