Raspberry Pi client: 0.5.2
Windows client: 0.5.2-1

Main Menu

Why replacing libjpeg by ImageMagick?

Started by glotzi, October 11, 2012, 10:15:14

Previous topic - Next topic

glotzi

Hi Marten,

with switiching from opengl to openvg you replaced libjpeg by ImageMagick. Why you did do that?

I had a short look into osdopenvg.cc and it seems that ImageMagick is only used for jpeg handling. I think ImageMagic is full blown overkill for that.

I use the cross compiler for building vomp and the thirdparty libs from scratch. ImageMagic introduces a lot of dependencies to other (full blown) libs, so it's really pain to build a crosscompiling script for all dependencies. Adopting the mvp crossbuild for rpi will also be the same painfull task.

The rpi is not a PC, its an embedded device. So I think it' s important to keep all small and simple.

MartenR

Quotewith switiching from opengl to openvg you replaced libjpeg by ImageMagick. Why you did do that?
I did not replace libjpeg, actually libjpeg was never used for the raspberry port.
The main reason is that the interface of libjpeg is relatively complicated and I wanted to have a quick solution, which also handles colour space conversion.
The second reason is that on the long run the vector based osd is planned to give the opportunity to tweak the ui appearence with skins and maybe be able to also change some pictures.
The functions  may be all called jpeg but in fact they now also support a big range of other image formats, thanks to imagemagick.
So that in the long run images for the UI and for e.g. picture viewers with a large range of supported picture formats are possible.

Marten

glotzi

Are you sure we need skinning and image viewer? I don't. If yes, xmbc is IMO the better choice.

It seems you don't want to remove ImageMagic stuff, so I will respect that. But plz do not bloat the vomp-client.

glotzi

Ok, crosscompiling ImageMagick is much easier than expected. I disabled near all what can be disabled. This works so far.

I was confused by debian package dependencies. Sorry for the noise.

MartenR

QuoteAre you sure we need skinning and image viewer? I don't. If yes, xmbc is IMO the better choice.

It seems you don't want to remove ImageMagic stuff, so I will respect that. But plz do not bloat the vomp-client.
Imagemagick should be the last thing, that was added as library dependence. Changes toward skinning will only occur, that certain fill colors might be replaced by a (likely) gradient or may be  (unlikely) a picture. This is probably something that does not need too much changes and which the hardware support almost for free.
I do not plan  a large rewrite or change. I also like to keep it simple in this respect. Since this is the power of vompclient, a limited set of functions, which can be optimized in a very robust and fast way.

Marten