Raspberry Pi client: 0.5.2
Windows client: 0.5.2-1

Main Menu

Seg fault

Started by morfsta, September 28, 2012, 21:49:04

Previous topic - Next topic

morfsta

Hi,

I cannot get VOMP to start on my raspberry pi, it seg faults right after the "Core- remote module initialised". CEC seems to be working fine and the cec-utils can control my TV and AMP etc.

Is there a document outlining the required dependencies to get this working anywhere? Is there anything else I can provide to assist with fixing the problem?

Thanks,

Morfsta

JTe

Could you please give some more information, like:
Are you using a clean installation of Raspbian?
Did you overclock or enable the turbo mode?
Do you have good enough power source (1000 mA minimum, giving clean 5 V DC)?
Did you select a 128 MB/128 MB memory split?

Did you install the required libs to compile vomp on Raspbian:
sudo apt-get install liblockdev1 libavcodec-dev libavformat-dev libjpeg-dev

And the ones Marten provided for CEC:
sudo dpkg -i libcec1_1.8.1-1_armhf.deb libcec-dev_1.8.1-1_armhf.deb cec-utils_1.8.1-1_armhf.deb

morfsta

Are you using a clean installation of Raspbian?

Yes, downloaded today from their web site

Did you overclock or enable the turbo mode?

No, overclocking is not enabled

Do you have good enough power source (1000 mA minimum, giving clean 5 V DC)?

I hope so, it is from RS, specifically for the PI - 1200mA

Did you select a 128 MB/128 MB memory split?

Yes

Did you install the required libs to compile vomp on Raspbian:
sudo apt-get install liblockdev1 libavcodec-dev libavformat-dev libjpeg-dev

Yes

And the ones Marten provided for CEC:
sudo dpkg -i libcec1_1.8.1-1_armhf.deb libcec-dev_1.8.1-1_armhf.deb cec-utils_1.8.1-1_armhf.deb

Yes, from his posting on the forum.

Are you supposed to run vompclient from the console? I have tried from both the console and the gui and get the same result.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Morfsta

JTe

I just finished a fresh install (no GUI, just console) which is now running fine.

One thing that has been making problems is the screen resolution. If you are using a TV-screen, please set the screen refresh rate to 50 Hz and screen resolution to one of the HDTV resolutions by editing the following lines in /boot/config.txt (add your mpg2 license key on there too).

To get the correct hdmi_mode please check your available modes with:

For TV resolutions:
/opt/vc/bin/tvservice --modes=CEA

For Monitor resolutions:
/opt/vc/bin/tvservice --modes=DMT

You current mode is shown over here:
/opt/vc/bin/tvservice -s

So try to find something like 1920x1080 or 1280x720 which is close to the resolution of the TV picture.

config.txt
-----
# uncomment to force a specific HDMI mode (this will force TV @ 50 Hz)
hdmi_group=1
hdmi_mode=19
# uncomment to force a HDMI mode rather than DVI. This can make audio work in
# DMT (computer monitor) modes
hdmi_drive=2
# video codec licenses
decode_MPG2=0x?????????

MartenR

QuoteCore- remote module initialised
Well, it is completely weird if it crashes after the remote module is initialized.
Because after the remote module the led and mtd modules are initialized and they do almost nothing.
Anyway you can do one thing.
First install gdb with apt-get install gdb
then enable the generation of core files with ulimit -c unlimited
then execute vompclient and let it crash.
Then execute gdb with gdbtui vompclient core, look at the backtrace with "bt" and go the stack "up" and "down" and tell me on which position the program crashed and what values the variables have. Then I might be able to help, it does not work always.

Marten

morfsta

Hi Marten,

Thanks for your help.

It is seg faulting at success = led->init(-1);

If I comment out this line and make it success = 1; then the vompclient continues to boot up and I get the blue screen (locating server). I haven't fiddled further with it yet and its hanging at this screen (I guess because the vomp server doesn't have the client added yet) but I will see how far I can get now.

If you want me to do anything further with regard to debugging the above please let me know.

Thanks,

Morfsta

MartenR

Please make a print led in gdb.
But before please do rm ledraspberry.o and then do a make again. Maybe the object file is damaged and test again.
It is really unprobable that something does not work here.
If you want to be safe do after this a "make clean" and then a "make".
And of course you need somewhere in your network a vdr server with recent vompserver plugin, if not it is clear why it hangs at the locating server screen.

Marten

morfsta

I reverted the change in main.cc, removed ledraspberry.o and rebuilt and this has fixed it. It looks like you were right, a damaged object file in the first build.

I installed the latest vompserver from git and installed on the vdr server and it now starts up and goes into the menu screen.

Well done Marten and thanks for your work so far, this is looking very promising! :-)

Kind Regards,

Morfsta