MVP dongle: 0.5.2
Raspberry Pi client: 0.5.2
Windows client: 0.5.2-1

Main Menu

Problem with mvp and homeplugs

Started by rdoac, July 24, 2007, 12:03:19

Previous topic - Next topic

rdoac

I have a network made of of homeplug ethernet over power bricks which work at "85mb/s"... However, every now and then they receive some interruption on the signal which causes an error or something like that.

A laptop running VompClient generally recovers from this kind of glitch (happens about every 10 mins), however the mvp we have just freezes and requires a power reset to continue.

Is there a way the software could resyncronise after an mpeg2 glitch?  Also if we try and watch a program which we don't have a key for then the whole thing locks up again..  Is there a way we can get "Channel Unavailable" like on the vompclient windows software?

Overall though, it works really well.  Running ethernet cables isn't an easy task as all the cabling is in the walls and we don't have carpets (Italian apartment).

rdoac

For anyones interest, I stuck on old pc the other side of the homeplug bridge (near my wireless AP) and turned it into a VDR dvb cardless server, only using streamdev.  It uses the same channels.conf as the original VDR server and sucks the info over using streamdev.  It appears to be working well with vomp too for that side of the house (including windows clients over wireless).  I am planning to get another MVP soon.  When vomp starts it asks which vomp server I want to use.  As long as the kids/wife remember where they are in the house all appears well.  If they get the wrong server it will lock up after a few mins.

rdoac

In the end I gave up.  The second VDR box, although better didn't solve the problems.  In fact wireless appears to work better than these homeplugs.  I bit  the bullet and bought a whole bunch of cables and strung them around the outside of the house.