Raspberry Pi client: 0.5.2
Windows client: 0.5.2-1

Main Menu

Vomp media player

Started by avvdr, March 14, 2007, 15:52:25

Previous topic - Next topic

keynet

Hi Andreas,

I'd like to build your new mediaplayer because the one in CVS is broken at the moment (when you exit playback, MVP crashes).
I know Chris has made quite a few changes recently.
Could you possibly commit your latest mediaplayer code to CVS so I can build it / test it / keep track of changes?
It will help all the users to test/feedback bugs

Thanks!

Chris

Hi keynet, Andreas,

I found a bug causing vomp to lock up when pressing back from an mp3. It was caused by my new gui code so I have applied a fix to the version in CVS.

muellerph

I think the same issue is when displaying a JPEG.

After <back> on a displayed JPEG image the box hangs.

MP3 works with <back>

avvdr

Hi keynet,
no chance for me to submit to cvs - as I have no write access.
During summer there is only little time for me to work on following all the changes in cvs with my patches - so still needs some time.
Currently you can try the extended 0.2.7 version provided by Alex at VDR portal:
http://www.vdr-portal.de/board/thread.php?threadid=69824&hilight=vomp

At least when I released my latest patches I tested them against the cvs at this time...

Regards
Andreas

keynet

Thanks Andreas. 
Unfortunately this version doesn't work with latest cvs.  Oh, and it's in German  :-\
Which version (e.g. cvs date) of the vompserver plugin is the dongle built for?

Chris - Would you consider giving Andreas write access to help development?
His contributions are really valuable.

keynet

Quote from: Chris on June 01, 2008, 22:06:21
Hi keynet, Andreas,

I found a bug causing vomp to lock up when pressing back from an mp3. It was caused by my new gui code so I have applied a fix to the version in CVS.

Chris thanks for the fix. 
Unfortunately when I todays latest cvs client + server it still crashes on exit from playing either a jpg or mp3  :(
The only thing I can think of is that I don't have the translation files in plugins/vompserver/ - do I need them if I'm just running English, if so where can I find them?

muellerph

If there aren't any translation files, you just won't be able to select any language other than english.
So this is not the issue.

avvdr

Hi keynet,
QuoteUnfortunately this version doesn't work with latest cvs.  Oh, and it's in German

- yes the 0.2.7.xx provided by Alex at vdrportal is somehow an own branch. Unfortunately there is a lot of changes Chris introduced in the protocol afterwards - so there is only the option to use both client and server from vdr portal. Anyway the forum is in german - but the vomp is still in english...(I guess you would even get some help there in english) - from my pov currently the most stable version. At least we also added a small patch that should prevent a couple of freezes in playbacks (especially when pressing a key while waiting for data).
- for the cvs/LATEST I'm afraid there is not much time currently on my side (and to be honest I would like to wait for some stable version because it's a lot of effort to follow all the changes with my patches)

I guess a valuable solution would be branches in the cvs (was already discussed in some other thread) - but this depends on Chris.

So - for the moment sorry - but no better solution available.

Regards
Andreas

rdoac

I'm playing with this at the moment.  I have succeeded in getting vdr playing avi's and am almost happy.

However, I have changed test1.sh slightly to fill the screen with the avi:

#convert AVI to mpeg2, suing mencoder see
#http://www.wiki.csoft.at/index.php/MEncoder_Scripts
convertAVI() {
mencoder -oac copy -ovc lavc -of mpeg -mpegopts format=dvd:tsaf \
  -vf scale=720:576,harddup -ofps 25 \
  -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg2video:vrc_buf_size=1835:vrc_maxrate=9800:vbitrate=5000:\
keyint=15:vstrict=0:aspect=16/9 \
$RTOP -o $FIFO "$1" > /tmp/mencoder.out 2>&1 &
  MPID=$!
}

However on my Sempron 3000 I am getting stuttering.  As root I need to renice mencoder to 15.  Am trying to find a way to run the mencoder with a nice priority of -10 or so.  I know the pc could become sluggish during this but I can live with it.  Any ides?

keynet

Quote from: avvdr on June 05, 2008, 19:52:39
--snip --
I guess a valuable solution would be branches in the cvs (was already discussed in some other thread) - but this depends on Chris.

So - for the moment sorry - but no better solution available.

Regards
Andreas

Thanks Andreas. 
I tried the Yaris patch & dongle and got it to compile with VDR 1.6, seems to work well.
I found one problem though - the WSS (wide screen switching) doesn't seem to work any longer - at least on playback of recordings - an old 4:3 format recording is always shown widescreen.  The current version (and older official versions of VOMP) this function works.
Thanks for the good work - I look forward to seeing it integrated.

hondansx

Hi Keynet,

which dongle are u using?
The prefered one is vomp-dongle-0.2.7-6.1-Yaris.tar.gz

Bye,
Walter
GA-EP43 | headless | 1xCineS2 Dual | 1xSkystar 2.6D | VDR 1.7.37 
Frontend: 1xRasperry | 1xION3

keynet

Walter,
I'm using the 16x9 version (vomp-dongle-0.2.7-16x9-6.1-Yaris.tar.gz) because I assumed that was right for a 16x9 widescreen TV?
What's the difference between this and vomp-dongle-0.2.7-6.1-Yaris.tar.gz?
Thx

avvdr

Hi rdoac,
QuoteAm trying to find a way to run the mencoder with a nice priority of -10 or so
Maybe just a setuid shell script (or executable) that wraps mencoder and "nices" before really starting it.
There is taht many options to mencoder - maybe we can find something provding sufficient quality by lower CPU usage (would be even great to have some automatic choosing of the right parameters depending on CPU...).

Regards
Andreas

hondansx

@Keynet,

QuoteWhat's the difference between this and vomp-dongle-0.2.7-6.1-Yaris.tar.gz?

0.2.7-16x9-6.1 is only for 16x9 widescreen TV and forces all Channels and Playbacks to 16:9,
which will  fill the screen in every situation. ;D
In less situations, where 4:3 Material is to bad for 16:9, this can be controlled over the remotecontrol by TV.
Otherwise here in Germany there are too much broadcasters, who send all the time in 4:3 Format.

@rodac

QuoteHowever on my Sempron 3000 I am getting stuttering.

You can try to downscale, maybe
.... -vf scale=352:288,harddup -ofps 25 ...

Bye,
Walter

GA-EP43 | headless | 1xCineS2 Dual | 1xSkystar 2.6D | VDR 1.7.37 
Frontend: 1xRasperry | 1xION3

rdoac

Quote from: avvdr on June 18, 2008, 20:54:23
Hi rdoac,
QuoteAm trying to find a way to run the mencoder with a nice priority of -10 or so
Maybe just a setuid shell script (or executable) that wraps mencoder and "nices" before really starting it.
There is taht many options to mencoder - maybe we can find something provding sufficient quality by lower CPU usage (would be even great to have some automatic choosing of the right parameters depending on CPU...).

Regards
Andreas

I though of that, but I still get a permission denied, to setuid you make the user root and chmod +s the script right?

Anyway, I'm playing with "verynice" and have added mencoder to the list of programs which need high nice values.  It takes  a minute or so, then kicks in.